I'm available for digital mastering work on a project or per-song basis in all modern genres—especially indie rock, punk rock, big beat, and alternative dance. I'm a self-trained audio engineer who has learned DIY post-production techniques since 2003. Hit me up @ryanve.
Mastering ensures that songs meet modern audio standards: balanced frequency response, proper volume levels, and dynamics. Production is critical for competing in today's saturated music industry. A perfect master sounds natural—not over-produced. Well-mastered tracks stand the test of time.
- Upload: I'll send you a link to upload your un-mastered audio file (.wav or .aif).
- Analysis: Mixes undergo a comprehensive analysis and metering.
- Equilzation: Applied to obtain proper frequency balance. Noise reduction is applied if needed.
- Dynamics: Compression/limiting is applied to optimize sound and balance levels w/ commercial cd's. Tracks are cross-checked side-by-side during mastering to ensure consistent sound.
- Fades/spreads: Track spacing, fade-in's, and fade-out's are performed.
- Client Review: Mastered audio is now ready for client approval. I'll send standard-res mp3 files for you to review. Revisions are made until you're 100% satisfied.
- Payment/Digital Delivery: Album tracks (.wav) delivered via web.
- MP3 Encoding - Optional: Hi-res mp3's delivered via web.
- Master CD - Optional: CD image created. If CD-Text is requested then track titles and ISRC/UPC/EAN information is added to the CD subcodes. A hard copy of the master CD is mailed.
- Mastering: $100 per song
- Digital .wav delivery via web: Free
- Lifetime audio backup: Free
- Optional: Hi-res MP3 encoding: Free
- Optional: Master CD image file delivered via web: $100
- Optional: Master CD hard copy delivered via mail: $100
Overall compression and volume are best applied by the mastering engineer. Do not apply compression over your final mixdown. Do not over-boost your mix volume. Leave headroom.
- Peak mix level is ideal from -3db to -6db.
- RMS (average) mix level is ideal from -10db to -20db.
- Fades and heads-tails edits are better done during mastering.
- Export mixes at the bit rate they're recorded in. (i.e. If 24-bit, export to 24-bit, etc.)
- Preferred format is .wav or .aif.
I master in WaveLab with Powercore platform and its high-end DSP's including the System 6000 Algorithms. Most of my experience has been in alternative and indie rock but I'm able to master music in all modern genres.